THE BETTER HEALTH CLINIC TEAM
Meet our Osteopathic + Integrative Medicine practioners
Our team comes with decades of experience and a wealth of knowledge.
At the better health clinic, we specialise in Osteopathic and Integrative Medicine, dedicated to enhancing people’s health and wellbeing.
Every day we see a diverse range of patients spanning from newborn babies to seniors with wonderful and unique stories. At the core of our clinic is our commitment to our patients when dealing with acute or chronic injuries and ailments.
In an ever-changing health landscape our goal is to be a consistent presence in our patients’ busy lives
Aiding them to achieve optimal health outcomes. For some it is providing help for the dreaded stiff back. For others it is to enable them to do what they love, whether it be harder training or dancing the night away pain-free! And for others it is providing a comprehensive 6-months rehabilitation to pre or post-surgery. In all cases, providing essential information and educational resources is key to help them understand their health problems.
We understand that health goals can vary widely for each patient, we offer a personalised approach to align with individual needs. The team are committed to ensuring patients leave with the knowledge and tools necessary to be able to make better decisions around their health choices.
Dr Sam McCarthy
B.AppSc, M.Osteo, B.Arts, B.AsianSt, Cert.Acup, Dip.MFR
Dr Sam McCarthy, Osteopath, is a long established and well-respected practitioner in the Eastern Suburbs. He has contributed to the health and wellbeing of the local community for over 20 years. And been involved in healthcare for almost 30 years. Sam works with patients of all ages from newborns to many in their 90’s, on a daily basis.
Sam has established successful clinics in Canberra, Kyoto and several in Sydney. Although he is now solely based in his new clinic in Spring St, Bondi Junction, he continues to treat patients from across greater Sydney and rural areas. Dr Sam continues to build a strong reputation based on education, honesty and results.
Sam tailors his treatment plans to achieve both immediate pain relief, and medium to longterm health outcomes and goals. He is very focused on empowering his patients to understand their problems, and to assist them in finding a way back to health through education and engagement. He has built an extensive network of skilled movement therapists, allied health, and medical professionals who are also involved in musculoskeletal medicine, to assist in achieving better patient centred outcomes.
Sam’s passion for, and interest in, health care commenced with his introduction to Asian medical and spiritual philosophy while studying a Bachelor of Asian Studies at the Australian National University in the early 1990’s. Embracing his new interests, Sam went on to pursue 4 university degrees and a wide range of studies in natural therapies at Certificate and diploma level over the next 13 years, finishing with his accreditation as an Osteopath after completing a Masters of Clinical Medicine Osteopathy at UWS.
He completed courses at certificate or diploma level in nutrition, counselling, acupuncture, dry needling, shiatsu, reiki, polarity therapy, remedial massage, sports massage, Rolfing, myofascial release, cranio-sacral therapy, aromatherapy, and lymphatic drainage.
Sam has published internationally on manual therapy treatment of centrally mediated chronic neck pain, based on his Masters dissertation, and co-authored a paper presented at the 2nd International Conference on Fascia in Amsterdam.
Sam has strong interests in the fields of fascia, scar tissue, Pain Medicine, trauma, tissue healing and body centred therapies. Combined they are providing fascinating insights into acute and chronic pain experiences in patients, and the future of manual medicine. Sam regularly attends conferences in these fields, continuing to engage with a wider group of practitioners from around the world who are at the forefront of their respective fields.
Sam’s treatment approach has evolved over 30 years but always begins with diagnosis and education. A treatment plan is then established with an approximate timeline for positive outcomes to be achieved, based on tissue healing times and the individuals age and health profile. A detailed explanation is then given of the time needed for passive care, treatment given by Sam, and the time needed for active care, exercise and rehabilitation. Sam always encourages patients to take active ownership of their recovery in order to achieve the best possible outcomes, by being very proactive in this second stage.
- Eastern Suburbs Medicare Local, Allied Health Board Member, 2012-2016
- Osteopathic Council of NSW, 2015-pr
- McCarthy S, Rickards LD, Lucas N. Using the concept of ideomotor therapy in the treatment of a patient with chronic neck pain: a single system research design. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2007;10:104-112.
- Australian Osteopathic Association, Member, since 2005
FDN-P, IIN, Cert Menopause Coach, Dip.IntBodyThr, Dip.RemedialMassage, Dip.StBodywork, Cert.MFR
Aline is a functional diagnostic nutrition practitioner and bodyworker, helping you take control of your health by understanding your unique root causes.
A long personal journey with lower back pain and chronic inflammation has led her to study with the best in the industry to find solutions for all kinds of chronic health issues.
After specialising in fascia and bodywork for over ten years, she went on to study different modalities in the functional medicine and nutrition field and now combines all her bodywork and functional nutrition/medicine skills to achieve the best results for you.
Book with Aline to get science-based strategies, full support and laboratory testing if you have IBS, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux, poor immunity, inflammation, pain, or hormonal issues (including weight gain) for women.
- stool test, SIBO breath test, DUTCH hormone testing and functional blood chemistry
- full nutrition support
- accountability and education about your health concerns
You can also book for lymphatic drainage, fascia release and remedial massage.
You can book Aline for bodywork (Remedial / Lymphatic Drainage / Fascial Release) or functional health coaching.
- Certified Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner (FDN-P)
- Certified Integrative Nutrition Coach (IIN)
- Certified Menopause Weight Loss Coach
- Clinical Mastership Program for complex clinical cases (Kharrazian Institute)
- Functional Blood Analysis for Adrenal Fatigue
- Functional Blood Chemistry Analysis
- Gastrointestinal Clinical Strategies and Treatment Applications (Dr. Kharrazian)
- Hashimoto’s Clinical Strategies and Treatment Applications (Dr. Kharrazian)
- Autoimmunity Clinical Strategies and Treatment Application (Dr. Kharrazian)
- Neuroinflammation Clinical Strategies and Treatment Application (Dr.Kharrazian)
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders (Dr.Kharrazian)
- Childhood Development Disorders (Dr.Kharrazian)
- Chronic Fatigue and Pain (Dr.Kharrazian)
- Managing Diabetes (Dr.Kharrazian)
- Advanced Functional Medicine Coach (In progress-2 year program with Dr.Kharrazian, to be completed end of 2023)
- Clinicians Code: Functional Health Mentorship (Dr.Walsh/Metablic Fitness,ongoing)
- Functional Health Mentorship (Dr.Gillespie)
- Diploma of Integrated Body Therapies
- Diploma of Remedial Massage
- Cert. 4 of Aromatherapy
- Diploma of Structural Bodywork (Thomas Myers Anatomy Trains)
- Visceral Manipulation 1 (Barral Institute)
- Cert.1-4 of Myofascial Release and Craniosacral Therapy
- Craniosacral Intensive Masterclasses with Hugh Milne
- GYROTONIC® Method Teacher
- Arthofascial Joint Manipulation (Dr Joe Musculino)
- Fascia in Motion
- Fascial Fitness Trainer (Dr. Robert Schleipp)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Audiovisual Media)
GYROTONIC® is a registered trademark of Gyrotonic Sales Corp and is used with their permission.
- Australian Massage Therapy Association
Meet the rest of our Better Health Team
Our Clinic Manager extraordinaire, Jane expertly manages Dr Sam, the Team, and the demands of a busy clinic; and makes things happen for our wonderful patients. With a range of experience and qualifications, Jane started out with a science degree / working in science and then diversified across several other fields and roles. Jane also sees her own coaching / healing clients with a focus on personal healing and growth and exploring transformational change. Have a chat when you’re next in the clinic.
A much-valued member of our Reception Team, Allanah is commencing 3rd year in her combined Psychology / Law Degree at Macquarie University. She has a wide range of interests from the serious issues of law reform in FGM and medical negligence, to reading and metal gigs. Have a chat when you’re next in the clinic.
A much-valued member of our Reception Team, Camille is commencing 3rd year in her Marketing and Public Relations Degree at Notre Dame University. Camille coordinates working at the Clinic with her Uni commitments, plus coaching touch football and other fun and interesting jobs. She is looking forward to exploring the world at the end of 2024. Have a chat when you’re next in the clinic.